Light steel structure building is a kind of building system. It uses light hot-rolled or welded H-section steel, thin-wall section steel, steel plate, and steel pipe as load-bearing structure, and enclosed with various decorative materials. The prefabricated steel building produced in the workshop and installed on site. This structure can meet the specific use of the building and the space requirements of the lightweight, fully assembled steel structure building.
The light steel structure has been widely used in general construction sites, agricultural, commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings.
Types of Light Steel Structure Building:
Steel workshop and warehouse building
Steel structure building with a width of 9-36 meters and a height of fewer than 12 meters. The primary load-bearing components of light steel workshops are composed of steel, including steel columns, steel beams, and steel structure foundations. The light steel warehouse is lightweight steel as the framework, corrugated single color sheet, or sandwich panel as the enclosure material. The components are connected by bolts, which are assembled and disassembled conveniently and quickly.
Steel structure mezzanine floor
The steel structure is used as the main load-bearing beam to connect the main wall or the supporting points at both ends of the shaft.
The profiled floor deck laid on the main structure, and then steel bars laid to connect with the original structure around the planting bars, and finally, concrete is poured.
Steel structure villa
The main structural beams, columns, and shelf supports of the steel structure villa are composed of cold-formed thin-walled steel structures or composite beams. The steel structural components are lighter in weight, convenient for transportation, installation, assembly, disassembly, and expansion.
Steel structure stairs
Steel structure stairs use channel steel or H-shaped steel as ladder beams and checkered steel plates as steps. The ladder beam is the main structural component of the staircase. Railings are mostly in the form of diagonal lines parallel to the inclined beams of the stairs. It is characterized by small areas, convenient construction, random shape, and strong practicability.
It can also be used for adding stories, renovation, reinforcement of old houses, areas with lack of building materials, areas with inconvenient transportation, tight construction schedules, portable demolition buildings, etc.
The features of Light Steel Structure Building:
- The parts are made of light and thin-walled profiles, with the advantage of lightweight, high strength, and less space. The components are all automated, continuous, and high-precision production. The structural specifications have the characteristics of serialization, finalization, and matching.
- Professional structure and complex design software can be installed by computer simulation. Factory manufacturing and site installation can be performed simultaneously with a small time difference.
- Above the foundation is the dry construction, no wet work. After galvanizing and coating, the steel structures have a beautiful appearance and anti-corrosion, which helps reduce the cost of enclosure and decoration.
- It is convenient to expand the column distance and provide larger separation space, which can reduce the story height and increase the building area (the residential area can reach 92%)—obvious advantages in adding floors, renovation, and reinforcement.
- Wall materials have a wide range of applications, especially the current lightweight wall panels, which use many lighting belts and have the right ventilation conditions.
- The indoor plumbing and electrical pipelines are all concealed in the wall and between the floors, with flexible layout and easy modification.
- Light steel buildings can be relocated, all materials can be recycled, no garbage is generated, and it is in line with sustainable development strategies.
The light steel structure mostly adopts the steel frame structure composed of H-shaped steel, and the joints are connected by high-strength bolts (supplied by welding). The floor slab is covered with reinforced concrete on the profiled metal deck. Roof panels and exterior walls use color steel plates with thermal insulation cotton that integrate heat preservation and waterproofing.
Advantages and disadvantages of light steel structure building:
- High strength and lightweight.
- Uniform material and high reliability.
- Good plasticity and toughness.
- Convenient for mechanized manufacturing.
- Convenient installation and short construction period.
- Poor fire resistance.
- Poor rust resistance.